TRUTH ABOUT DUNDORI GWA KIONGO

TRUTH ABOUT DUNDORI GWA KIONGO


It's On Tuesday Morning, Sun was high amidst clouds. It was amongst the lucky days of cold and chilly August to receive sunlight.  I have received a call from ICT Co-ordinator offering me a position to join his Tutor team for training in Nyandarua county specifically Dundori.

Famous for extremely cold seasons, Dundori has a bad name amongst my locals. I break the news to my beloved Mum who asks me to take a seat and she narrates the story.

"In 1977, we moved To North Kinangop." 

Looking surprised I start to remember my history books. They were the most dull books I ever read but my passion for History surpassed that. I remember it was around the same time the founding father of our Nation left possibly to be with Angels. I even recall vividly, how Mum repeatedly told me the story of His death. He was a gentleman indeed. According to my mum, upon his death all radios went off. Of-course only one radio went off. A radio was shared between 10 family. I even tend to think "Nyumba kumi" initiative was better implemented.  Nobody knew exactly what happened. When the radio was "switched on again" everyone knew he was no more.

Childhood memories

"It was the coldest place I have ever lived." Mother continues with the story. "We would wake in the morning, prepare for school. We would walk for miles crying all the way barefooted. We didn't love schooling. Cold ice struck our feet while our palms freezed....."

The story continued, my mind was carried away by memories of my childhood and counting how lucky I was not to have been brought up in such an environment. Thanks to my father who traveled far and wide  and saved my mother the agony.

Her patting on my shoulder and the mention of Dundori brought me back to real time. It was getting chilly. The sun had disappeared amongst the clouds. I wanted to borrow permission to get a jacket but the expression on her face was wanting.

She paused looked at me as if she had a quarrel to pick with me. Every time I saw mother look at me like that, I knew that she wanted something hammered in my mind. "Dundori is a cold place. You need to carry several blankets, don't leave your grey coat. I will add you a scarf. You need a quick budget for a  jiko and charcoal."

I left not wanting to doubt any piece of advice given. I shared my good news with my pals who I expected would realize the journey would be long and I needed "something for tea" along the way.


Myths about Dundori

A section of Ndundori Potato farm
The mention of Dundori, amongst many people living outside Nyandarua County, gives an impression of the darkest place. People there are believed to be the most ignorant of creatures. The mention of the name itself, gives an impression of no orderliness in way of doing things. There is a popular belief that during the FACE ME kind of matatus Women going back from market would refuse to put down their heavy luggage not to tire the vehicle. 

A friend of mine told me of another theory that these people use to fight cold. He said it is believed they cook a lot of Porridge and since cups aren't enough, they would go for gumboots.

What's the truth about Ndundori gwa Kiongo?
Gwa Kiongo Dam

- Ndundori is A maasai name meaning "extreme cold." This region experiences extreme colds season probably because of the large water bodies that surround the region and the height above see level.




- Ndundori hosts amongst one the largest man made dam...the gwa kiongo dam.

- It is one of the highest Potato and carrot producing areas.

A sofa at Milangine Poly
         - The literacy level is about 75% with over 8 secondary schools and over 10 primary schools. It also proudly host the Milangine Polytechnic. 


 





 



By Nahashon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TOOLS YOU NEED BEFORE YOU TRANSCRIBE THAT AUDIO

WHO HAS THE CHEAPEST DATA BETWEEN SAFARICOM, AIRTEL AND TELKOM KENYA